The Wednesday and Friday Writers’ groups offer
• creative support and inspiration
• exercises and ideas to help shape your pieces
• thoughtful feedback and careful editing
• guidance getting happily published
• simpatico and talented women writers to encourage you
• a lively writers’ community
Elizabeth Fishel (click here for bio) created the first Wednesday Writers group in 1991 and since then has been leading groups both Wednesdays and Fridays in her Rockridge living-room, just a few blocks from the Rockridge BART stop. To guide and inspire each writer to find her own voice, she draws on her wide experience as a writing instructor and the author of five nonfiction books and dozens of magazine articles.
The groups are open to writers at all stages, from those just beginning and writing for their own pleasure and self-discovery to those who are publishing their work. Our group members’ essays have appeared in The San Francisco Chronicle, The East Bay Monthly, Diablo, The Contra Costa Times, and The Christian Science Monitor, and on KQED’s “Perspectives,” among others, and many have published books and contributed essays to anthologies.
More info about the groups and how to join:
• Both groups meet from 10 am - 12 pm in 2 sessions, fall and winter/spring
• The Wednesday group meets weekly; the Friday group meets twice a month
• WINTER/SPRING SESSION OF WEDNESDAY WRITERS begins on
Wednesday, February 5th and meets weekly through April 30
(no classes on April 9 and 16).
11 meetings, $385
• WINTER/SPRING SESSION OF FRIDAY WRITERS begins on Friday,
February 14th and meets twice monthly through May 30th. The dates are
February 14, 28; March 14, 28; April 4, 25; May 9, 30.
8 meetings, $280
• There is a $50 deposit to reserve a place.
We welcome new members! Kindly contact Elizabeth for more information.
UC Berkeley Extension Workshop:
Writing and Selling Your Personal Essays
Saturday, February 8th, 2014, 10 am – 5 pm
UC Berkeley Extension Golden Bear Center
1995 University Ave, Berkeley
For more information, www.extension.berkeley.edu/catalog/
A one-day seminar led by Elizabeth Fishel with Mark Trautwein, editor of KQED’s “Perspectives” series and Sarah Weld, past co-editor of The East Bay Monthly about taking your essays from idea to publication.
The Wednesday Writers
About the Groups